Saturday, February 2, 2008

Not Dead Yet


Now, I know what you must be thinking... "This guy's just fallen off the face of the Earth," or "Well, I guess that's it, no more bitter blog, since he's all happy-slappy with his friggin kiddies." Well, not true. Not that my kids don't make me happy, but that doesn't mean I don't have more bitter diatribes to go off on in this very location, just I've been so busy with so many things.

One of the things is getting read for the GDC. There's a myriad of bullshit going on with my project, but having an unfinished / broken version of your game recognized out of a field of 175+ entrants is nothing to sniff at. I was looking at the game the other day and even though the Team Page on the website lists a ton (okay 12) people, the game has largely been made by 5 full-time members and I'm pretty proud of what's there.

One of the other things taking up my time lately is a new Wii project, of all things. Now, it's not that I inherently have have something against the Wii per se, but I find it to be just like every other Nintendo home platform post-SNES. It's targeted at kids and fanboys who like to wax nostalgic about a bygone Nintendo that they grew up with, and the only products that sell on it really are Nintendo products, because of said fanboys who believe that Nintendo can do no wrong and everyone else is crap. They can't pull their heads out of their asses and realize that Nintendo's been making the same fucking games for the past 20 years,
so they better be fucking getting it right!

So, before a bunch of you get your panties in a bunch and say, "fuck that Tony, what game has he done that ever reached the greatness of Mario Galaxy?" Realize I'm mainly bitching that my game making efforts will more than likely be in vein or at least only sell enough to cover the cost of development, because Nintendo fanboys only buy "Big N" games. Don't believe me? Look at sales charts for DS games. Look at sales charts for Wii games, Gamecube games, etc. It's not just a quality issue, it's the "Nintendo factor". Also, I find game making is unfortunately filled with many more obstacles than just coming up with ideas and executing them. Most of my career has been either firefighter and/or fighting the process of making games and narrow-minded people who control the strings.

(deep breath)

So, anyway, yeah... been real busy and all that. In addition to making games at work and the kids keeping the wife and I up (we're talking NEVER more than 30 minutes in a row without dealing with something, 24/7), I'm trying to get my own games and game engine on the go at home. When I do find time, it's interesting... relearning to program, learning a new programming language and seeing my little snippets of code come to life.

Yeah, it may look like fricken Geometry Wars on the surface, but it's not. I wanted to do the "vector thing" long before seeing GeoWars, but unfortunately didn't. So, I'm just using the art I did previously as placeholder, until I swap it out for some other style that's hopefully new and fresh. At the very least not the over-done (yet still cool in some games) GeoWars retro-vector look.

So, Expect more verbage about my side-projects, when I'm not bitchin' about my day job, but in the meantime expect more kibitzing about game dev and especially about the unwashed masses I'm sure I'll encounter at GDC08.

No comments: